- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 4 cups diced apples, I prefer Granny Smith, but you can use what is on hand. It usually takes about 3 medium
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray and flour your pan. I either use a 9X13 or a bundt pan.
- Core and chop the apples first so that you can put the sugar on them to extract part of the juice from the apples. Sprinkle 1 C sugar over the apples in a 4 C measuring cup if you have one, otherwise just in a bowl.
- Cream the butter, 3/4 C sugar and eggs till smooth. Add remaining ingredients, except apples. Mix until smooth. Will be very stiff. Add apples. If not much juice has formed, like less than 1/4 cup, add about 1/4 cup water to rinse out the bowl or measuring cup. I live in the rockies so it is really arid here.
- Spread in pan to fill evenly.
- Bake for 30- 40 minutes. Check middle of pan to see if done. If pick or spagetti comes out clean, then it is done. Cool slightly and serve. Can serve with a sauce, (rum, vanilla, caramel, and lemon are good), ice cream, or whipped cream. Or in your hand. Nuts are a favorite addition of many people, but we don't like them in our family so I never add them.