Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This was my gram's favorite dessert!
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cups homemade breadcrumbs
- 5 cups apples, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1⁄2 grated rind and lemon, juice of (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter 1 1 1/2 quart baking dish (also need a lid).
- Toss crumbs and butter togetehr.
- Spread 1/3 of this mixture into baking dish.
- Toss apples, sugar and spice (+lemon) together in a separate bowl.
- Spread 1/2 the apple mixture over crumb layer.
- Repeat until layers end with crumb mixture.
- Add 1/3 cup hot water.
- Cover tightly and cook for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 20 minutes more.
- Serve warm with heavy cream.