Recipe by WI Cheesehead
From Outpost Natural Foods, in their Diabetes Fighting flyer. This is almost a one dish recipe. Everything gets mixed together in the pan.
Top Review by Tee Lee
These were good, but a little dry. They go great with hot coffee or tea to dip in, though. I used chopped walnuts instead of pecans. These are great to grab for an easy, healthy breakfast on the go.
- 1⁄3 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar or 1⁄4 cup sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup cold strong coffee
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- If you need to toast the pecans, place pecans on baking sheet; bake 3-5 minutes; set aside.
- In an 8-inch baking pan, spread chopped apples and sprinkle with sugar.
- Using a fork, stir in pecans (unless you want to sprinkle them on top), flours, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda until apples are coated.
- Use a rubber spatula to stir in coffee, oil, egg and vanilla, scraping sides and bottom of pan. Smooth top with spatula.
- If saving pecans, sprinkle over top.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack and cut into 16 squares.
- Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate or freeze after 2 days.