Recipe by Nyonya Kecil
I've been learning to bake since last year and this bread recipe is one that I developed myself . There's only 2 of us at home so I only make one loaf every week .
- 4 cups bread, four
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm the milk but make sure not to make it too hot .
- Sieve the flour and the salt into a bowl then add the sugar . Mix it well .
- Mix the yeast with with a little bit of sugar in the warm milk .
- Add the olive oil into the mixture.
- Then pour the yeast mixture into the bowl .
- Using a fork continue to mix the flour with the liquid .
- Form a ball then transfer the dough on a lightly floured surface .
- Knead for about 10 minutes . At this stage the dough should still be sticky but don't worry , just wet your palm with some olive oil and continue the kneading process until you form a soft a smooth dough .
- Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl . Cover with a damp cloth leave to rise in a draft free place forabout 1 1/5 - 2 hours or until the dough is double in size .
- Punch down the down . On a lightly floured surface gently roll up the dough and a rectangular shape with 3/4 cm thickness.
- Roll down , shape into loaf and transfer it into a well greased 1 pound tin loaf .
- Cover with cloth and let it rise for 45 minutes or until the dough has risen about an inch above the tin.
- Bake in preheated oven at 175 C fan force for 30 minutes.
- Take it out from the oven , brush the top with the melted butter .
- Bake for further 10 minutes.
- Transfer the loaf on the cooling rack . Wait until it's completely cool before slicing it .