I found the original recipe in Family Circle magazine. They say that it freezes well. This recipe is good and my kids love it too. It makes a lot, so plan on freezing some!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (15 ounce) cans corn, drained
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 in. pieces (optional)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth or 2 (15 ounce) cans broth
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/4 in. pieces
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese, for topping
- 1Chop onion, set aside. In a food processor, puree 2 cans of corn so that it is a little chunky. Set aside.
- 2In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon for about 6 minutes or until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper-towel lined plate.
- 3Add onion to pot and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until golden brown. If you did not make the bacon, drizzle the pan with olive oil before adding the onion. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- 4Whisk in chicken broth. Add potatoes, thyme, milk (regular milk at this time), and pureed corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Using a potato masher, press down on the potatoes 4 to 5 times. Stir in cooked bacon.
- 5In a food processor, pulse the remaining 2 cans of corn for about 3-5 seconds, depending on the consistency that you like. Add the rest of the corn and heavy cream and cook an additional 5 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Ladle chowder into bowls. Top each serving with a little cheddar cheese.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy and Yummy Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (625 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 588.5
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 65.7 mg
- Sodium 531.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 17.2 g