1/10 Photos of Easy and Traditional British Pub Style Pickled Onions
1080 hrs 15 mins
French Tart's Note:
I have been making these for years and years now, and I always like to have a jar handy in the pantry. They are great to munch on with cold meats, cheeses, bread and crackers, as well as being a much loved and traditional accompaniment to Ploughman's Lunch and also Fish and Chips. You will often see large jars of pickled onions in British fish and chip shops, AND on the bar in British pubs! If you start these in October, they will be ready to eat by Christmas and New year - making them an ideal addition for your cold buffet table and cheese boards. Please note, this is an easy and therefore a NON BRINING method; they will last for about 6 to 9 months in ideal conditions, a cool and dark pantry or store cupboard. If you wish to make these in bulk to last a couple of years, you need to brine the onions first; I have added brining notes at the end of the recipe instructions. I hope you will enjoy these as much as we do!
My Private Note
Large J ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel the onions and pack one third of them tightly into a large Kilner jar or preserves jar. (You can also use several smaller jars if you wish.).
- 2Scatter one third of the pickling spices over the top of the first layer of onions and continue packing the onions in to the jar - adding two more layers of pickling spices as you go.
- 3Pour the malt vinegar into the jar, making sure that all the onions are covered by the vinegar.
- 4Add some extra vinegar if there is not quite enough.
- 5Seal the jar and store in a dark, cool place for at least 6 weeks before using the pickled onions.
- 6Brining Notes:.
- 7You need to begin 2 days ahead by placing the onions in a large non-metallic bowl. Then mix 2 pints of water with 4 ozs of salt together, pour this over the onions and leave them covered with a cloth for 2 days.
- 8Drain the onions and dry them well, continue as above. These onions will last for up to 2 years + in ideal conditions - a dark and cool pantry or store room.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy and Traditional British Pub Style Pickled Onions
Serving Size: 1 (1632 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 533.3
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 63.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 41.7 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: