Recipe by jodieann1987
This is my adaptation of many failed pot roasts :) This is the easiest, cheapist, hearty-ist and down right tasty-ist post roast I have ever created. Staring basic staples, and a few suprise ingredients that are located in almost every kitchen this pot roast is fall off the bone G-O-O-D !!! Give this pot roast a few minutes of prep work, throw it in your crock pot, and prepare to have the juicest meat, thickest natural gravy, and most tender vegetables ever!
- 1 (3 -5 lb) boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups of mini peeled carrots, whole
- 4 -6 small red potatoes, washed and pricked
- 4 whole celery ribs, washed, bottoms cut off and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup strong coffee, brewed
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 cups water
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) vegetable beef soup mix
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In the morning (if desired) place one Reynolds Crock Pot Liner in your crock pot according to the directions.
- Peel 4 whole cloves of garlic.
- Peel and quarter 1 whole onion.
- Wash the potatoes thorougly, leaving peel on. Prick all over by gently stabbing the potatoes with a fork.
- Wash 2 cups (or two handfuls) of mini peeled carrots.
- In a seperate medium sized bowl mix all the liquid and both packages of Mccormick Seasoning Mix. Set aside.
- In a seperate pan, set to med. high heat, add the olive oil.
- On a clean work surface pour the flour. Add 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper and mix in to the flour. Spread all over surface.
- Take your pot roast and roll it around in the flour. Coat all the surfaces of the meat well.
- Place the floured pot roast into the hot pan.
- Sear on all sides untill golden brown. 2-4 minuets on each side.
- When all sides are seared set the pot roast in the middle of the crock pot.
- Pour the liquid mixture over it.
- Turn the crockpot on to high heat.
- Add the onion, potatoes, carrots, garlic cloves and bay leaf all around the pot roast but in the liquid.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on high for 2 hours and then lower the temperature to low for at least 3 hours.
- When meat is falling apart tender and all vegetables are fork tender serve 2 pieces with some of the pot roasted vegetables, and natural gravy.
- Serve hot with side salad dressed with your favorite dressing!