Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A great way to make your own beef broth - make ahead and freeze in ice cubes for use in gravy, soup, rice or wherever beef broth is needed.
- 1 lb beef bone (or short ribs)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, cut into large pieces
- 4 carrots, cut into large pieces
- 4 stalks celery, cut into large pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 cups white wine (make sure you use good wine, if you are willing to drink it then you can use it in this!) or 2 cups red wine (make sure you use good wine, if you are willing to drink it then you can use it in this!)
- 8 cups water
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in pan and add bones - brown them. Once browned, add veggies, parsley, salt and pepper to taste - cook for 5 minutes on medium heat - stirring every few seconds.
- Add wine and water and bay leaves.
- Simmer for 2-3 hours until the stock has reduced to about half of what was originally in the pot.
- Strain the stock. Ladle broth into ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen take cubes out and place in a freezer bag and store in freezer. Take out cubes to use in gravy, soup or wherever beef broth is called for.
- Add wine.