Recipe by Lalaloula
This apple cake is super easy and quick to make, but will fool your guests into believing your worked really hard to serve them something extra special. The dough is soft and fluffy at the same time and the taste perfect for autumn.
Top Review by Crafty Lady 13
This recipe is easy to make. I used sugar-free shortbread cookie for the crumb topping and Splenda in place of the sugar. I didn't have vanilla sugar so I used powdered vanilla mixed with Splenda. The dough is very thick and a little tricky to spread out in the pan. It keeps wanting to pull away from the edges. I did add a little milk to the dough. I used a 9-inch spring-form pan and the batter made about a 1-inch layer. I put the apples all the way dwn to the bottom of the batter and the tops of the apples still stood out over the batter. The batter did cook up to the topsof the apples though. The cake has a dense texture, but the flavors are very good. Made for November 2011 Aus/NZ Swap.
For the dough
- 100 g butter, softened
- 85 g sugar, granulated (can use more if your apples are on the tart side)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 3 eggs
- 250 g flour (2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 3 -4 apples, sliced thickly
For the crumb topping
- 8 plain butter cookies (I used 5 butter and 3 almond cookies) or 8 small graham crackers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 pinch ground red chili pepper (hot)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a big bowl cream butter, sugar and vanilla sugar for 8 minutes. Then beat in each egg for 30 seconds.
- In a second bowl combine flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Add this to the butter egg mixture and mix in well. Dough will be thick, but if it seems too thick, add in a splash or two of milk.
- Pour dough into a well greased spring-form pan (26 cm/10 inch in diameter) and spread it out evenly using the back of a spoon.
- Arrange apple slices (peel facing up) in circles on top pressing them into the dough about half way.
- Make the crumb topping by crushing the cookies and combining them with the cinnamon and chilli pepper. Sprinkle this on top of the apple slices.
- Bake in the pre heated oven at 175°C/350°F for 40-50 minutes or until nicely browned on top and tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. If the cake threatens to get too brown, cover it with a baking paper.