Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Using thawed hash bowns makes this an easy recipe that takes minutes to put together, but you may use cooked cold cubed potatoes in place of hash browns ;-) lower-fat sour cream and mayonnaise can be used.
Top Review by Laura O.
Yes, this is definitely dry. I stirred in at least 2 cups of milk to moisten it up a little, and it was still "sticky" as my oldest daughter put it. However, she said she would give it more stars than me - she gave it 5 stars and said it was delicious. My youngest daughter said I should give it 5 stars also and called it terrific. I only used about 1/3 of the bacon bits and mixed them all in before baking. I cooked the onion a little bit before adding it to the mixture also - I always do to avoid crunchies.
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 (2 lb) package frozen hash browns, thawed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 (3 ounce) jar bacon bits (or use cooked bacon chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Place the Velveeta cheese into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave until the cheese has melted, then add in sour cream, mayonnaise, thawed hash browns, yellow onion and green onions; mix until well combined.
- Season with black pepper and salt.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with bacon bits.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until hot and bubbly.