Recipe by Sharon123
This is quick and easy using refrigerated biscuit dough and storebought vegetarian sausage! Adapted from Cooking Light magazine.
Top Review by Annacia
I've been making this veggie version of Biscuits and Gravy for a long time and never really thought of it being a recipe before, how dense am I?. Sharon this is grand, I made it for Sunday brekkie and enjoyed every bite. I made the biscuits with Recipe #55564 but all else as written. This is wonderful old time comfort dish made healthy while keeping the yum factor. Thanks so much hon for sharing this. :D
- 1 (16 ounce) canreduced fat refrigerated biscuit dough (8 biscuits)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 0.5 (14 ounce) packagemeatless sausage (Lightlife Gimme Lean is good)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-fat milk (rice milk works well)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Prepare the biscuits according to package directions.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the sausage; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly. Crumble the sausage into 1/2" pieces, and return to the skillet.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, level with a knife. Mix the flour and milk, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add the milk mixture, salt and black pepper to pan; bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes or until thick.
- Split biscuits in half. Place 2 biscuit halves on each of 8 plates, top each serving with about 1/3 cup gravy.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!