Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
This is very fast and simple; basic but a family favorite. I've included tips for "kicking it up a notch". We use this all year long, either for grilling or broiling.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped bell pepper (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery (optional)
- Combine first four ingredients in microwave safe 2-cup measure or bowl.
- (If adding any of the optional ingredients, saute in small saucepan, then add the first four ingredients.) Stir to combine completely and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes to melt sugar and combine flavors.
- (Or simmer on stove until warmed and well combined) That's it: grill chicken, pork, steak, salmon, or shrimp and brush sauce on as desired.
- Ideas: Use different mustards to change the flavor; add 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne to spice it up; use 1 teaspoon each of dried onion, peppers, celery flakes if you don't want to use fresh.
- I usually set aside one cup of the sauce for extra dipping prior to grilling.
- (Boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes if your basting brush has touched the rare food and gone back into the sauce.).
My dad used to make this when we were kids. He'd cook it with chipped imported ham and serve it on hamburger buns. EXCELLENT!
Wasn't quite what I expected. It was sweet and tangy VERY GOOD! It worked well for the barbecue sauce for pulled pork! Thanks! Mo
Saved the day!! I needed BBQ sauce last minute. Didn't have a lot of time and not much in the frdge either. This lived up to it's name, it was definately quick and easy. Thanks!