Recipe by akcooker
This is very fast and simple; basic but a family favorite. I've included tips for "kicking it up a notch". We use this all year long, either for grilling or broiling.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped bell pepper (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first four ingredients in microwave safe 2-cup measure or bowl.
- (If adding any of the optional ingredients, saute in small saucepan, then add the first four ingredients.) Stir to combine completely and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes to melt sugar and combine flavors.
- (Or simmer on stove until warmed and well combined) That's it: grill chicken, pork, steak, salmon, or shrimp and brush sauce on as desired.
- Ideas: Use different mustards to change the flavor; add 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne to spice it up; use 1 teaspoon each of dried onion, peppers, celery flakes if you don't want to use fresh.
- I usually set aside one cup of the sauce for extra dipping prior to grilling.
- (Boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes if your basting brush has touched the rare food and gone back into the sauce.).