Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my version of Chili. It is easy to prepare and very mild in taste. You prefer yours hotter, just up the spices. My family loves it served either over rice or spaghetti topped with sharp cheddar and sour cream. I like mine with few pickled jalapenos on top! Enjoy! PS-I really believe the fresh garlic makes a big difference in this chili.
- 2 lbs ground beef (I prefer a higher fat content and drain later. I think it is more flavorful)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch sugar (healthy pinch)
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans (any combo of beans that you like)
- In a frying pan brown the beef with the onion and garlic over medium heat.
- Over medium heat add to a dutch oven or large pot all ingredients except beans. Break up the tomatoes with a spoon or your hand. I squeeze mine.
- Once the meat is ready, drain and add to the tomatoe mixture. Let simmer for an hour or so, add beans. Taste for seasonings. I usually let mine set on the stove on warm or low for a few hours to let the flavors meld. It is even better the next day.
- If you choose to use lean beef and no draining, just make it all in the dutch oven or large pot.