Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Needed to make some bread quick but I had no sour cream or yogurt on hand to do the Irish Soda Bread, so i made this adapting from several recipes. It turned out great !!
- 1 1⁄2 cups 180g bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups 180g wholewheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup 240g water
- 1 tablespoon 15g vegetable oil
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder.
- Stir in water and oil until everything comes together to form a dough.
- Shape the dough into your favorite sizes and forms. Optionally spray with water before putting into the oven.
- Bake at 200C or 400F for app. 20 minutes for small breads and app. 40 minutes for large breads. (It is done when the color is right and the internal temperature reaches 80C or 175°F If the color is getting too dark, cover with foil.).
For a quick bread, this is quite tasty. Good crust and nice flavor. Mine came out just a little bit crumbly but it was delicious with a little butter. I did add a TBSP or two of milk in place of part of the water. My husband had several pieces with jam. I'll make this again when I'm short on time and need a quick bread with dinner.
This quick bread recipe is perfect when you need bread on the fly. I added orange zest, a pinch of sugar and a smidge of vanilla for absolutely delicious scones.
The pros: Quick, easy, few ingredients. Very simple to make if you need bread within the next hour and want a home-made one.<br/>The cons: Very mild taste, not that good and not fluffy/soft enough. I expected more.