Recipe by Chef Crys
For those cold winter days! Or any other time, if you're a chocolate lover like I am. (Adapted from an Ina Garten recipe.)
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate (chips are fine)
- 4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped (chips are fine)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- vanilla bean (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine milk and half-and-half, heat on medium until just below simmering.
- Remove pan from heat and add all chocolate. When melted, add sugar, vanilla extract and vanilla bean seeds. Whisk together until well combined.
- Return pan to stove on low, reheating gently. Serve immediately in mugs, using vanilla bean to garnish.
- Note: Use any type of chocolate you like. White chocolate is wonderful, and so is Mexican chocolate. Blending chocolate types is also fun and delicious.
- Note: Cinnamon sticks are a nice garnish, as well.
- Note: Add about three or four tablespoons of dark rum if you want to make this a delicious adult beverage.