Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
No eggs in this, easy to put together and simply delicious! It even makes a wonderful dinner. The complete recipe may be cut in half and baked in an 8 x 8-inch dish. Try this, it is so good!
Top Review by AnnzieBobber
This casserole was GREAT! My husband found it and made it one Sunday night and we thought it was delicious. Then I made it for a brunch recently, and several women asked me for the recipe. I don't use the amount of onions she calls for - and if I don't have green onions, white onions work fine. Also, I use half of the amount of half&half it calls for and add half 1% milk. It is good. A keeper!!! Thanks!
- 2 lbs breakfast sausage (just use the small pork breakfast sausages for this, or use any kind of sausage!)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups full-fat milk or 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 (1 lb) packages frozen shredded hash browns
- 10 -12 green onions, chopped (or to taste)
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet cook the sausages, breaking into pieces with back of the spoon (about 5 minutes).
- Mix in flour, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in milk or half and half and Parmesan cheese; and cook until the mixture starts to boil and thicken (about 4-5 minutes).
- Season with pepper to taste.
- Pour the shredded hash brown potatoes in the prepared baking dish and toss with salt and pepper (I use seasoning salt for this) then spread out potatoes in the bottom of the dish.
- Top with 1/3 of green onion, then 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese, then 1/3 green onions, then sausage mixture, then top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 green onions and serve.