I was watching "Everyday Food" on PBS one day and they were making these pot stickers. They looked so easy and delicious that I had to try making them myself. They turned out just as great as they looked on tv and have become one of my favorite meals. I serve them with Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce (For Dumplings or Pot Stickers).
- 1⁄2 cup napa cabbage or 1⁄2 cup savoy cabbage, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt or 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 6 ounces ground pork, not all lean
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 24 rectangular or square wonton wrappers (3 1/2-by-3-inch)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a medium bowl, toss cabbage with 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt; let stand 10 minutes.
- Wrap cabbage in a double layer of paper towels; firmly squeeze out excess liquid.
- Return cabbage to bowl and add pork, 3 finely chopped scallions, ginger, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- Mix well with a fork or use your hands.
- Work with one wrapper at a time, and keep the rest covered with a damp towel.
- Spoon one level teaspoon of filling in center (if you try to use more, the wrappers won't seal right or may tear).
- With dampened fingers, wet the four edges.
- Fold wrapper in half over filling to make a triangle, making sure the ends meet and filling is centered; press edges down firmly to seal (sometimes I bring all four corners together to make a little pouch instead of a triangle, not as pretty, but faster!).
- Transfer to an oiled plate; cover with a damp towel to keep moist.
- Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling (Refrigerate leftover filling up to 2 days).
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
- Add half the wontons and cook, turning once, until lightly browned, about 1 minute per side.
- Carefully add 1/2 cup water (oil may sputter), cover, and steam until translucent and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and wontons.
- Serve with soy sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.