Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A sweet and satisfying snack or dessert,and low caloire too! My step mom brought them to a family dinner, they were a hit!
- 4 egg whites (absolutly NO egg yolk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 225f.
- Beat egg whites in a metal bowl with a hand-held beater or a mixmaster untill foamy. Add vanilla and cream of tartar.
- Continue to beat, and add sugar one tsp at a time.
- Beat untill it forms stiff peaks.
- Put meringue into a thin square bag, and cut a SMALL hole in a bottom corner of the bag, so the meringue will come out in a string about the size of a thick pencil.
- On a cookie sheet lined with pachment paper squeeze from outside in, making a spiral, then make a peak in the middle. The meringue should be about 1 inch in diameter. You will probably need a second cookie sheet.
- bake for one hour, or untill tops are golden brown.
Had originally planned to make pavlova but realized I was out of whipping cream! These cookies turned out beautifully, even on a slightly humid day. I added 1/2 tsp orange xtract, 1/2 tsp vanilla and about a cup of mini chocolate chips. I used a small cookie scoop which worked very well. Delicious!
I wanted to make meringue cookies to add to my holiday tray so tried 2 differant ones (I wanted red AND green) this one and recipe#155211 both are great. On this one I used red food coloring and cinnamon oil for flavor - they tasted awesome, a favorite of everyone, even the little ones. My only problem and it was certainly my fault and not the recipe is that I let it whip for just a few seconds to long and it lost some of the stiffness so didn't set up quite as pretty. But the taste is awesome, and I learned a lesson - once they turn stiff STOP at once.
These were soooo good! I was craving something a little sweet and the bitesize nature of these are perfect for an occasional little treat. I didn't have any cream of tartar so did some researching and found that white vinegar did the trick. It worked! Thanks for sharing!