Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is my recipe for slow cooker chili. The prep time is minimal, and the results are delicious. It is important to use canned kidney beans because a slow cooker may not get hot enough to properly cook them. Pinto and red beans are best cooked from dry, in my opinion.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb stew meat
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel
- 1 (15 ounce) can Hunts tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup dry pinto beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried red beans
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup flour (for coating meat)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for browning meat)
- Soak dry beans for 8 hours prior (pinto and red).
- Coat stew meat in flour, and brown over medium heat in vegetable oil.
- Dice onion.
- Dice jalapeño and discard seeds.
- Drain soaked beans and add to slow cooker.
- Add stew meat, onion, garlic, jalapeño, Rotel, tomato sauce, spices, kidney beans and water to the slow cooker.
- Cook on medium heat in slow cooker for 10 hours, or until beans are tender. Add more water if it dries out.