Recipe by jcaldwel
This is my recipe for slow cooker chili. The prep time is minimal, and the results are delicious. It is important to use canned kidney beans because a slow cooker may not get hot enough to properly cook them. Pinto and red beans are best cooked from dry, in my opinion.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb stew meat
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel
- 1 (15 ounce) can Hunts tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup dry pinto beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried red beans
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup flour (for coating meat)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for browning meat)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak dry beans for 8 hours prior (pinto and red).
- Coat stew meat in flour, and brown over medium heat in vegetable oil.
- Dice onion.
- Dice jalapeño and discard seeds.
- Drain soaked beans and add to slow cooker.
- Add stew meat, onion, garlic, jalapeño, Rotel, tomato sauce, spices, kidney beans and water to the slow cooker.
- Cook on medium heat in slow cooker for 10 hours, or until beans are tender. Add more water if it dries out.