Recipe by Juleskees
I received this recipe in the mail from Everyday Food. It is so simple to put together. My husband and I love the flavor and texture of the chicken. It makes wonderful leftovers you can throw on some pasta or bread (we prefer wheat buns) for a sandwich. Enjoy!
- 3⁄4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken cutlets (8) or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups jarred tomato sauce (or homemade)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, preferably fresh, cut into eight 1/4 inch thick slices
Directions See How It's Made
- If using chicken breasts halve them horizontally.
- Heat broiler. Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan in a shallow bowl or Ziploc bag. Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in the beaten egg (be sure to let it drip the excess off), then dredge in breadcrumb mixture, coating both sides.
- Spread tomato sauce onto the bottom of a 10-by-15 inch baking dish. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 4 chicken cutlets in skillet; cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Using a spatula, transfer browned cutlets to baking dish, on top of the sauce. Repeat with remaining oil and cutlets.
- Top each cutlet with a slice of mozarella. Broil about 4 inches from the heat source until sauce is hot and cheese is melted and lightly browned in spots, 5 to 8 minutes. If you go longer than 5 minutes, watch carefully so the cheese does not burn. Serve immediately.