Recipe by jenn.silva
This is an easy, tasty way to use up any extra bread you have. I personally like using an egg or challah bread, but any white-style sliced bread will do.
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup Amaretto
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 10 -12 slices dry bread, broken
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups skim milk, scalded & cooled
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak raisins in amaretto for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and allspice in small bowl. Set aside 3 heaping tablespoons to use as topping.
- In large bowl, pour melted butter over bread, then toss in remaining sugar mixture.
- Place 1/2 of bread mixture in a lightly greased 1.5 quart or larger baking pan. (Pudding will rise quite a bit, so if using 1.5 quart pan be sure there is ample space in oven above pan for pudding to "grow.").
- Drain raisins, sprinkle half over crumbs.
- Sprinkle half of almonds over crumbs.
- Repeat layer: bread crumbs, raisins, almonds.
- Beat eggs, salt & vanilla in bowl for 1 minute.
- Slowly mix in milk, then slowly pour over dish, being sure to evenly dispense liquid.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle reserved sugar mixture on top.
- Bake at 325F for 45-55 minutes.