Recipe by Oolala
From a cookbook called "Memories" put out by the East End Hospice in Westhampton Beach, NY.
Top Review by gailanng
The most forgiving of recipes, yet. I used recipe #251535 instead of sliced bread and didn't cube it. I subbed recipe #364106 for the Amaretto and sprinkled chopped almonds instead of sliced. I even decreased the water by 1/4 cup. My only problem is that my 12 step program to lay off the sweets ain't workin'. Made for Ragin' Cajun Tag.
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 6 slices white bread, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, sliced
- powdered sugar, for top
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, Amaretto, almond extract, milk and water. In a quart baking dish, place bread cubes and cover with egg mixture.
- Top with almonds.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- Raise oven to 425 degrees and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Cool 1 hour and top with powdered sugar and serve!