Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
From a cookbook called "Memories" put out by the East End Hospice in Westhampton Beach, NY.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, Amaretto, almond extract, milk and water. In a quart baking dish, place bread cubes and cover with egg mixture.
- Top with almonds.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- Raise oven to 425 degrees and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Cool 1 hour and top with powdered sugar and serve!
The most forgiving of recipes, yet. I used New Orleans French Bread instead of sliced bread and didn't cube it. I subbed Grand Marnier for the Amaretto and sprinkled chopped almonds instead of sliced. I even decreased the water by 1/4 cup. My only problem is that my 12 step program to lay off the sweets ain't workin'. Made for Ragin' Cajun Tag.
Wow! If you need a company-worthy bread pudding recipe, this is it! So easy to make, and yet the flavor is extremely elegant. I did forget to dust it with powdered sugar, but no one seemed to mind. The only change I made was I used 8 slices of bread since it was the cheap, super soft kind. I also used fat free evaporated milk, but it was still very rich.