Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Yellow cake mix can be subbed for the white but do not use the pudding added in mix. I make these layer cakes to top with fresh sliced strawberries, drizzled with strawberry glaze and then topped with fresh sliced strawberries and whipped cream, sooooo yummy, of coarse you can layer with just about anything you wish, these cakes are soooo good and so moist! This makes four thinner 8-inch round cakes, I just freeze two of them for next time, they freeze well for up to 1 month if wrapped in foil and then stored in a freezer bag.
Top Review by Baby Kato
This makes really lovely thin cakes Kitten. Rich, moist, dense and full of flavour. The cakes are tasty and have an interesting texture, I especially love the combination of sour cream and almond extract together. I layered my cakes with homemade strawberry jam and iced it with a 7 minute frosting. Just perfect for two people. Thanks so much for sharing.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix (do not use the pudding added cake mix)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease four 8-inch round cake pans.
- In a bowl beat all ingredients on low speed for about 1 minute, then increase the speed and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer and divide the batter between the cake pans.
- Bake for about 15-17 minutes, or until cakes tests done.
- Cool in pans on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Fill as desired.