Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Yellow cake mix can be subbed for the white but do not use the pudding added in mix. I make these layer cakes to top with fresh sliced strawberries, drizzled with strawberry glaze and then topped with fresh sliced strawberries and whipped cream, sooooo yummy, of coarse you can layer with just about anything you wish, these cakes are soooo good and so moist! This makes four thinner 8-inch round cakes, I just freeze two of them for next time, they freeze well for up to 1 month if wrapped in foil and then stored in a freezer bag.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease four 8-inch round cake pans.
- In a bowl beat all ingredients on low speed for about 1 minute, then increase the speed and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer and divide the batter between the cake pans.
- Bake for about 15-17 minutes, or until cakes tests done.
- Cool in pans on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Fill as desired.
This makes really lovely thin cakes Kitten. Rich, moist, dense and full of flavour. The cakes are tasty and have an interesting texture, I especially love the combination of sour cream and almond extract together. I layered my cakes with homemade strawberry jam and iced it with a 7 minute frosting. Just perfect for two people. Thanks so much for sharing.
Excellent! Fluffy and moist cake, and the sour cream gave it a nice tangy taste. I wasn't sure if it would work with fat-free sour cream, but it did (I imagine it could only be better with the real thing). I only made two layers, and it rose up higher than the pans' edge - it didn't overflow, though. I think 3 pans would be perfect. Thank you for an easy and delicious recipe.