Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is such a great casserole that is so easy to put together, and a great way to use up left over turkey or chicken. I sometimes add in about a tablespoon of minced fresh garlic, and about 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese to the soup mixture.
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 4 -5 cups chopped cooked turkey or 4 -5 cups cooked chicken
- 3 1⁄2 cups cooked rice (can use les)
- 3 -4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 cups crushed butter flavored crackers
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine soup, mayo, sour cream, onion, lemon juice, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese; mix well to combine.
- Stir in the cooked turkey or chicken, cooked rice, celery, water chestnuts, and almonds; mix to combine.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine all topping ingredients, and sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake uncovered for about 35-40 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
We tried this casserole the other night using cooked turkey. I did not add the garlic or cheese. For a simple rice casserole, this tasted pretty good. my family has decided however that they are not fans of water chestnuts, so I'll be eliminating those the next time. I used Sociables for the cracker topping, it tasted quite good. I also used more parmesan cheese, probably about double the amount, I was having fun grating. I think I also used more rice than was called for~ I cooked 2 c of raw rice before adding it~ according to the rice conversion that would be about 6 cups, but I don't really think I would have wanted it any mushier, but that is just my preference. I served this with a salad with a maple balsamic dressing.