Recipe by littleturtle
Nice, simple, delicious treat. Sweet and buttery.
Top Review by Peaseblossom
My experience making these almond bars was magnificent. Of course, next time, I'm going to actually try following the instructions.. The changes I made were: a) I used butter instead of margarine, b) I used a larger, shallower pan, and c) I baked it at 600 degrees for 15 minutes instead of at 350 for 30 minutes. (I had never used my oven before, and it's not really marked... Oops.) Despite charring the edges and singing some of the almonds on top, my almond bars were delicious. Even the burnt parts still tasted good! My family couldn't get enough, and devoured it all in a couple of days. I still plan to try the recipe again the right way, but I have to think that any recipe that can withstand the abuse I gave it has got to be great.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup margarine, melted
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9x13" pan with foil and grease with butter.
- Blend together the flour, sugar, margarine, eggs, baking powder, almond extract and salt.
- Pour into pan, and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with almonds and remaining tbsp of sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden.