Recipe by Sarah_Jayne
I found this recipe in a truly beautiful cookbook called 'World Food Cafe 2' which features vegetarian recipes from around the world alongside stunning photographs.
Top Review by Dreamgoddess
I took the previous reviewer's suggestion and baked the potatoes instead of boiling. My patties held together very well. Nice flavor. Made for Tastebud Tickling Travellers during ZWT 4
- 10 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 10 ounces potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 4 ounces sweet corn
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place to potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water and simmer until soft.
- Meanwhile dry roast the cumin seeds, cinnamon and cloves in a small frying pan until aromatic, remove from pan and grind to a powder.
- Combine with the remaining spices.
- Heat the oil in a wok.
- When hot, add the onion and pepper and fry until soft.
- Add the sweet corn and ginger, saute for a couple of minutes, and then stir in the spice mix.
- Fry for 1 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Drain the potatoes and mash, with knob of butter, until smooth.
- Then stir in the spice and vegetable mix, the beaten egg, chopped cilantro and salt to taste.
- Shape the mixture into patties and fry in a non-stick pan with a little sunflower oil until brown on both sides.