I found this recipe in a truly beautiful cookbook called 'World Food Cafe 2' which features vegetarian recipes from around the world alongside stunning photographs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 10 ounces potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 4 ounces sweet corn
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Place to potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water and simmer until soft.
- 2Meanwhile dry roast the cumin seeds, cinnamon and cloves in a small frying pan until aromatic, remove from pan and grind to a powder.
- 3Combine with the remaining spices.
- 4Heat the oil in a wok.
- 5When hot, add the onion and pepper and fry until soft.
- 6Add the sweet corn and ginger, saute for a couple of minutes, and then stir in the spice mix.
- 7Fry for 1 minutes and then remove from heat.
- 8Drain the potatoes and mash, with knob of butter, until smooth.
- 9Then stir in the spice and vegetable mix, the beaten egg, chopped cilantro and salt to taste.
- 10Shape the mixture into patties and fry in a non-stick pan with a little sunflower oil until brown on both sides.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy African Sweet Potato Patties
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.2
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 37.7 mg
- Sodium 52.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: