Recipe by SkinniFries
A crispy, golden, fried piece of heaven. Garnish with fresh fruit and a treadmill jog.
Top Review by cookin' from scratch
Darlene, If you deep fry a food and it ends up soggy and greasy, it means your oil wasn't hot enough or you added too much food all at once (adding cold food cools your oil). Try this again using hotter oil and adding only a small amount at once!
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1⁄3 cups instant pancake mix (the 'just add water' kind)
- 1 (12 ounce) can 7-Up soda
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a couple inches of oil in a large pan or pot to about 375. I don't use a thermometer; I just stick the end of a wooden spoon into the oil to test if it's ready. If it's hot enough, the little bubbles will form rapidly around the spoon.
- Combine the pancake mix, 7 Up, and coconut and mix thoroughly. Let sit for a minute or two.
- Spoon by one ladle-full at a time into the hot oil. The batter will spread out into a pancake shape. Fry until golden brown and crispy on the bottom, about 3 minutes, then flip and cook the other side the same.
- Remove with a slotted spoon onto a wire rack to drain and cool, dust with the granulated sugar while hot.