Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A crispy, golden, fried piece of heaven. Garnish with fresh fruit and a treadmill jog.
Make and share this Easy 7-Up No-Funnel Cake recipe from Food.com.
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1⁄3 cups instant pancake mix (the 'just add water' kind)
- 1 (12 ounce) can 7-Up soda
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, for dusting
- Heat a couple inches of oil in a large pan or pot to about 375. I don't use a thermometer; I just stick the end of a wooden spoon into the oil to test if it's ready. If it's hot enough, the little bubbles will form rapidly around the spoon.
- Combine the pancake mix, 7 Up, and coconut and mix thoroughly. Let sit for a minute or two.
- Spoon by one ladle-full at a time into the hot oil. The batter will spread out into a pancake shape. Fry until golden brown and crispy on the bottom, about 3 minutes, then flip and cook the other side the same.
- Remove with a slotted spoon onto a wire rack to drain and cool, dust with the granulated sugar while hot.
Darlene, If you deep fry a food and it ends up soggy and greasy, it means your oil wasn't hot enough or you added too much food all at once (adding cold food cools your oil). Try this again using hotter oil and adding only a small amount at once!
This recipe didn't work out for me either. I only made one at a time and my electric fry pan has a light that goes out when the oil reaches the set temp. The first one I poured as directed and it was soggy and greasy in the middle. The second one I poured more like a funnel cake and turned up the temp slightly. That was too crispy. We picked at them but I gave up at that point and didn't make anymore. My 7 up may have been a little flat. Could that be the cause of my poor results?