Prep 2 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is my mother's recipe that she has been making for as long as I can remember. She always makes this to serve with steamed artichokes. Though I have eaten this sauce plenty of times, I only just recently made it for myself. I couldn't believe how easy it was to make. I don't have a double boiler pan set, so I boiled a small pot of water and put a glass bowl on top so it sat about 1-2 inches from the water. It worked perfectly.
- Boil water in double boiler or sauce pan. Place glass bowl over top of sauce pan if using this method.
- Place 1/2 cup butter in double boiler or glass bowl. Allow to mostly melt.
- Add 2 egg yolks and 2 TBS lemon juice.
- Quickly whisk for 3-6 minutes or until sauce thickens to your liking.
- If sauce starts to separate, whisk faster for a minute or two longer.
- If this still doesn't make it come together again, drop an ice cube into the bowl and whisk until it is melted. I don't know why, but ice does the trick!
- Serve with artichokes, asparagus, eggs benedict, etc.
I promised hubby Eggs Benedict for dinner. I'd never made hollandaise sauce from scratch before. I remember my Maw Maw always telling me how difficult it was, particularly the separating problem. Ice cube did the trick! <br/><br/>Oh, and hubby thought the sauce was so good he took a spoonful of what was left in the bowl!
I loved this.. it was simple and came out great. I was about 2 minutes into the whisking and I thought it had broken down.. but kept on whisking and it came back together and tasted great.
Excellent recipe!! Quick and easy...just what I was looking for!!