Recipe by angie_pangie
I love soup, and potato is definitely way up there on my list of favorites. Nothing really beats my homemade soups, but this is a very tasty and great alternative when you are short on time and want something hot, filling and comforting. I serve this with rolls, or sometimes with turkey club sandwiches.
Top Review by Porfavorcorona
This is a really great recipe and it's done in about 20 minutes. I did change a few things, I left out the celery salt, white pepper and dry mustard. I didn't have them on hand. I did use fresh black pepper and add about 1/4 ts more of salt and garlic powder. I use the hashbrowns with onion and peppers along with adding the onion flakes (we love onions and garlic). We just loved the suop. I did enjoy the browned hashbrowns, it just add to the flavor of the soup. When I served it I add bacon, low fat shredded chedder cheese and chopped green onions. This will be add to the winter soup rotation. Made for My-3-Chef Fall 2008.
- 1 (32 ounce) package frozen southern style hash brown potatoes (with peppers & onions if you desire)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes (if you do not use hash browns with onions)
- 1 (32 ounce) carton chicken broth (use vegetable stock for a vegetarian version)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (2 2/3 ounce) package country gravy mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large pot and add hash browns, seasonings and onion flakes.
- Cook the hash browns until lightly browned.
- Whisk some of the chicken broth with the gravy mix in a bowl and slowly add to the pot.
- Add the remaining chicken broth to the pot.
- Mix gently and bring to a rolling boil over med-high heat.
- Lower the heat to simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until thickened and hot throughout. (Optionally you can move the soup to your crock pot and cook on low for 4-5 hours).
- Top with shredded cheese and bacon bits, if you wish.