Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an inexpensive basic quiche to which you can add different fillings. It's called 1 - 2 - 3 because the proportions are about one cup of filling, two cups of half and half and 3 large eggs. My easy pie crusts make this a snap to do for a quickie lunch/brunch/potluck. It's easily made into a dozen different quiches for parties. I make this recipe easy by having pie crusts in the freezer - I always make 5 or six crusts at a time, flatten into discs and double wrap them for the freezer (Linda's Fantabulous Food Processor Pie Crust). I pre- cook any fillings that need it, and mix the custard up in the morning. When the girls pop in it's easy to finish. Hope you try this!
- 1 pie crust, partially baked (Linda's Fantabulous Food Processor Pie Crust)
- 1 cup meat and vegetables, diced fine and cooked
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 eggs, large
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (more or less)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (more or less)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more or less)
- 1 -2 tablespoon herbs (of your choice.)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350* and position the rack to the lower third position or use a pizza stone in the lower third of the oven. Get it good and hot.
- Partially bake your pie crust in a 9 inch pan (see Recipe #300887). Use lots of beans inside of foil to help hold the shape (I use the same old lentil beans and fill the foil to the top). Bake for about 10 minutes. I usually lay a piece of foil over the top so the edges don't burn.
- Make the custard by beating the half and half, eggs and seasonings together.
- Stir in your favorite fillings and pour into your partially baked pie shell or layer the fillings for a pretty presentation. (yeah, take the beans out first) and bake for 45 - 55 minutes or until a butter knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Filling Suggestions:.
- I always saute the veggies and herbs in butter and olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon minced herbs,1/2 cup sauteed leeks, 6 slices of blanched, rinsed and diced bacon patted dry and fried and 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese and topped with plum tomato slices.
- 1/2 cup finely diced baked ham sauteed with 1/2 cup finely sliced green onions and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese with 1 Tablespoon minced herbs.
- 10 slices of roma tomatoes for the top and 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and 1/2 teaspoon of dried Italian herbs.
- You can add leftover veggies from last night's dinner such as steamed broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, whatever you have.
- This recipe is easy to turn into a Mexican dish, Italian, Spanish, Portugese, whatever your mood dictates.
- Add a salad and it makes a nice lunch.