Recipe by Chef Kate
This is the real thing--the way it's made on the eastern shore of Maryland in the summer when the vegetables are fresh from the earth--no sausage, no bacon--just beans and corn in their full glory.
- 2 ears corn (as fresh as possible)
- 1 cup baby lima beans or 1 cup fresh fava beans, shelled and peeled
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the beans in a saucepan and add water just to cover and lightly salt the water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until the beans are barely tender, about 12 to 18 minutes.
- Shuck the fresh corn.
- Using a chef's knife held at the diagonal, scrape the kernels off the two ears of corn.
- Add the corn to the beans and simmer for ten more minutes.
- Remove from heat, season with butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Eat immediately.
- Summer on the Chesapeake.