Prep 8 hrs
Cook 20 mins
From the cookbook "Smokin". This marinade is inspired by Old Bay seasoning-the favorite seasoning for crab or shrimp. If you prefer, forego the marinade and season the shrimp with Old Bay or your favorite seafood seasoning. This recipe is to be made using a stove top smoker.
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 12 cloves
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb large shrimp, in the shell
- 2 tablespoons corn cobs or 2 tablespoons alder wood chips
- Spoon all the spices into a large resealable plastic bag. Cover the bag with a kitchen.
- towel (so the spices don't tear the bag) and roll over the towel with a rolling pin, crushing.
- the seasonings lightly. Pat the shrimp dry, add them to the bag, and shake them around to
- coat them with the spices. Refrigerate 4 to 8 hours before smoking.
- Set up the smoker using the wood chips and smoke the shrimp until opaque at the center, about 20 minutes after closing the smoker lid, until they are cooked throughly and firm,.
- not springy, to the touch. Serve hot, warm or chilled.