Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
This is usually served on top of Eastern NC pork BBQ. Found somewhere on the web with a reference to a book by Bob Garner, "North Carolina BBQ -- Flavored by Time." It also says "Recipe by Ruthie Garner" but I'm not sure if that's who put it on the web from the book or that's who gave the recipe to the book. Also served on NC Crab cake sandwiches. OOohh...someone please take me back to NC!!
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup mustard
- 3⁄4 cup sweet pickle, cubes
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Remove outer leaves and core from cabbage. Cut head in half and grate fine.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, add cabbage, and mix thoroughly.
- Chill for one hour before serving.
Perfect cole slaw...in my opinion. Just like my mom's. I ate about 1/4 of it before serving the rest to others.
Definitely NC style, great tasting and easy recipe.