1/1 Photo of Eastern Mediterranean Potato Salad
Hold the mayo. This is a very refreshing potato salad, another winner from Faye Levy's column in our local newspaper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boiling potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 -5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion, preferably mild ones
- 4 small tomatoes (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained (optional)
- 1/2 cup flavorful olive, such as kalamata,pitted and cut in half (optional)
- 1Cut any large potatoes in half to speed up the cooking.
- 2Put the potatoes in a large saucepan, completely cover with water and add salt.
- 3Bring to a boil.
- 4Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until a knife can pierce the center of the largest potato easily and the potato falls from the knife when lifted, about 25 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile prepare the dressing: In a small bowl whisk 2 tablespoons lemon juice with a pinch of salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- 6Add 3 tablespoons olive oil and whisk again.
- 7Drain the potatoes in a colander, rinse them briefly and leave just until cool enough to handle.
- 8Peel them if you like, and cut them into 1 inch cubes.
- 9Put them in a large bowl and add the onions, 3 tablespoons of dressing and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- 10With a rubber spatula, fold together gently but thoroughly.
- 11Let potatoes cool to room temperature.
- 12Dice the tomatoes to add them to the salad, or cut them in thick wedges to use as garnish.
- 13Whisk the remaining dressing, pour it over the potatoes and fold it in.
- 14Add the parsley, capers, half the olives and the diced tomatoes to the potatoes and fold together lightly.
- 15Taste, adjust seasoning, and add more lemon juice and olive oil if needed.
- 16Garnish with the remaining olives and with the tomatoes, if you've cut them in wedges.
- 17Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eastern Mediterranean Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 296.2
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 12.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 4.5 g