Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This flavorful combination of Quick Borscht and Smoked Fish Pate on Pumpernickel gets on the table fast for when you are in a hurry to get a taste of Eastern Europe!
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup sliced cabbage
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup potato, pared and diced
- 1⁄3 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄3 cup diced celery
- 1 (16 ounce) jar pickled beets, drained, liquid reserved, beets coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces smoked fish fillet, skinned, boned (whitefish, trout, kippers, or sablefish)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperture
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 radishes
- 1 small cucumber
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Combine broth, cabbage, onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, and reserved beet liquid in medium saucepan. Cook covered over medium-high heat until vegetables are tender, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash fish, butter, scallions, lemon juice, pepper and salt in small bowl. Spread pate on bread and cut each slice in half.
- Trim radishes and slice cucumber. Arrange on platter with open-faced sandwiches.
- To complete soup, stir in beets and dill. Ladle soup into mugs and top with sour cream. Serve hot soup with sandwiches and vegetables.