Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This flavorful combination of Quick Borscht and Smoked Fish Pate on Pumpernickel gets on the table fast for when you are in a hurry to get a taste of Eastern Europe!
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup sliced cabbage
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup potato, pared and diced
- 1⁄3 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄3 cup diced celery
- 1 (16 ounce) jar pickled beets, drained, liquid reserved, beets coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces smoked fish fillet, skinned, boned (whitefish, trout, kippers, or sablefish)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperture
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 radishes
- 1 small cucumber
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Combine broth, cabbage, onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, and reserved beet liquid in medium saucepan. Cook covered over medium-high heat until vegetables are tender, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash fish, butter, scallions, lemon juice, pepper and salt in small bowl. Spread pate on bread and cut each slice in half.
- Trim radishes and slice cucumber. Arrange on platter with open-faced sandwiches.
- To complete soup, stir in beets and dill. Ladle soup into mugs and top with sour cream. Serve hot soup with sandwiches and vegetables.