This flavorful combination of Quick Borscht and Smoked Fish Pate on Pumpernickel gets on the table fast for when you are in a hurry to get a taste of Eastern Europe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup sliced cabbage
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup potato, pared and diced
- 1/3 cup diced carrot
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1 (16 ounce) jar pickled beets, drained, liquid reserved, beets coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces smoked fish fillet, skinned, boned (whitefish, trout, kippers, or sablefish)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperture
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 radishes
- 1 small cucumber
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1Combine broth, cabbage, onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, and reserved beet liquid in medium saucepan. Cook covered over medium-high heat until vegetables are tender, 20 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, mash fish, butter, scallions, lemon juice, pepper and salt in small bowl. Spread pate on bread and cut each slice in half.
- 3Trim radishes and slice cucumber. Arrange on platter with open-faced sandwiches.
- 4To complete soup, stir in beets and dill. Ladle soup into mugs and top with sour cream. Serve hot soup with sandwiches and vegetables.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eastern European Soup and Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (432 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.1
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 35.9 mg
- Sodium 1374.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 12.1 g