1/2 Photos of Easter Story Cookies
I received this recipe from a dear friend at work. My Granddaughters loved making the cookies as much as eating them them on Easter morning. This was also made by several of my friends after viewing Mel Gibsons film "The Passion of the Christ". I have given this recipe to all of my friends at church. Great for children 1 to 100.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- 2Place pecans in a zip lock bag, close the bag, and let the children beat the bag with a wooden spoon to break the pecans into small pieces.
- 3Explain to the children that after Jesus was arrested, the Roman soldiers beat him.
- 4Let the children smell the vinegar.
- 5Put the vinegar into a mixing bowl.
- 6Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross he was given vinegar to drink.
- 7Add egg whites to the vinegar.
- 8Eggs represent life.
- 9Explain that Jesus gave his life to give us life.
- 10Sprinkle a little salt into each child's hands.
- 11Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl.
- 12Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus' followers, and the bitterness of our sin.
- 13So far the ingredients aren't very appetizing.
- 14Add 1 cup sugar.
- 15Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us.
- 16He wants us to know and belong to him.
- 17Beat with a mixer on high speed for 12 to 15 minutes until the stiff peaks form.
- 18Explain that the color white represents the purity in God's eyes of those whose sin have been cleansed by Jesus.
- 19Fold in Broken Nuts.
- 20Drop by teaspoons onto a cookie sheet covered with wax paper.
- 21Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus' body was laid.
- 22Put the cookie sheet in the oven and turn OFF.
- 23Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door.
- 24Explain that Jesus' tomb was sealed.
- 25Go to bed.
- 26Explain to the children that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven overnight.
- 27Jesus' followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed.
- 28On Easter morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie.
- 29Notice the cracked surface and take a bite.
- 30The cookies are HOLLOW!
- 31On the first Easter Jesus' followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty.
- 32He has risen!
- 33Happy Easter Everyone!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easter Story Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.7
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 75.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 34.0 g
- Protein 3.3 g