1/1 Photo of Easter Pie
1 hr 15 mins
I made this for Easter since my family had an Italian dinner. It has a phyllo pastry crust with a filling similar to a rice pudding studded with pine nuts and orange zest. It is best served on the day it is prepared. Recipe is courtesy of Giada Laurentis.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 177.44 ml powdered sugar, plus extra for garnish
- 3 large eggs
- 9.85 ml pure vanilla extract
- 14.79 ml orange zest
- 425.24 g container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 118.29 ml cooked short-grain rice
- 78.07 ml toasted pine nuts
- 6 sheet fresh phyllo pastry sheets or 6 sheet thawed phyllo pastry sheets
- 89.90 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 1Blend 3/4 cup of powdered sugar, eggs, vanilla, orange zest and ricotta in a food processor until smooth. Stir in the rice and pine nuts. Set the ricotta mixture aside.
- 2Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- 3Lightly butter a 9-inch glass pie dish. Lay 1 phyllo sheet over the bottom and up the sides of the dish, allowing the phyllo to hang over the sides. Brush the phyllo with the melted butter. Top with a second sheet of phyllo dough, laying it in the opposite direction as the first phyllo sheet. Continue layering the remaining sheets of phyllo sheets, alternating after each layer and buttering each sheet.
- 4Spoon the ricotta mixture into the dish. Fold the overhanging phyllo dough over the top of the filling to enclose it completely.
- 5Brush completely with melted butter.
- 6Bake the pie until the phyllo is golden brown and the filling is set, about 35 minutes.
- 7Transfer the pan to a rack and cool completely.
- 8Sift powdered sugar over the pie and serve.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easter Pie
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.6
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 119.7 mg
- Sodium 141.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 10.5 g