Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
wednesday circular of the rocky mountian news
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- fresh ground pepper
- 6 lbs leg of lamb, bone in trimmed
- 1 3⁄4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- crush the fennel seeds in a baggie.
- in a small bowl combine fennel, butter, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper.
- preheat oven to 450 with rack in the middle of the oven.
- pat lamb dry and place in roasting pan.
- sprinkle lamb generously with salt and pepper.
- rub half of butter mixture on and refridgerate the rest of the mix.
- roast the lamb till its golden brown on the outside about 30 minutes.
- decrease heat to 350 and continue till internal temp of 135 is reached about 45 minutes.
- transfer lamb to large platter keeping the juices and cover with tin foil to keep warm.
- skim fat from the juices and add broth and wine to the juices.
- place the roaster on medium high heat and stir to get scrapings cirulating simmer till reduced by 1/2 or about 12 minutes.
- remove from pan and whisk in remaining butter mix.
- season to taste with salt and pepper.
- suggested serving cut lamb and platter with a spoon of sauce.
the first lamb recipe I ever tried to cook.. it turned out perfect