Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are very cute they look like potato Easter eggs. They are simply a stuffed potato. From Better Homes and Gardens a few years ago
- 8 small baking potatoes (about 4 ounces each) or 4 large baking potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
- shortening (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream or 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 ounces gouda cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons milk (optional)
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
- fresh chives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F or 350 degrees F.
- Scrub potatoes with a brush; pat dry.
- Prick potatoes in 2 or 3 places with a fork. (If desired, for softer skins, rub potatoes with shortening or wrap each in foil.)
- Place potatoes in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake potatoes, uncovered, in a 425 degree F oven for 40 to 50 minutes for small potatoes or 60 to 70 minutes for large potatoes (or in a 350 degree F oven for 60 to 70 minutes for small potatoes or 80 to 90 minutes for large potatoes) or until tender.
- Remove from oven; cool slightly for easier handling.
- For small potatoes, cut a thin crosswise slice off both ends of each baked potato. (For large potatoes, cut potatoes in half crosswise. Cut a thin crosswise slice from the round ends of the potatoes.)
- Scoop pulp from slices; discard skin. Place pulp in a bowl.
- Carefully scoop pulp from each potato, leaving a 1/4-inch shell.
- Add pulp to bowl; set shells aside.
- Mash the potato pulp.
- Stir in sour cream or yogurt, cheese, chives, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- (If necessary, add 1 to 2 tablespoons milk to make of desired consistency.)
- Stir in hard-cooked eggs.
- Carefully spoon potato mixture into shells. Stand the potato "eggs" upright in a 2-quart rectangular or square baking dish.
- Bake large or small potatoes, uncovered, in a 425 degree F oven about 20 minutes (or in a 325 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes) or until heated through and tops are lightly browned.
- Top with additional whole fresh chives, if desired.
- Make-ahead tip: Prepare potatoes through step 4; chill. Reheat with ham at 325 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes.