Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
Better Homes and Gardens (www.bhg.com) These look just like little eggs! Could be served as appetizers if using really small potatoes. Be creative, this is just a basic recipe! The number of directions looks daunting, but it really is simple once you've read them.
- 8 small baking potatoes or 4 large baking potatoes
- shortening (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 ounces gouda cheese, 1/2 cup shredded
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- milk (optional)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 whole fresh chives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF or 350ºF.
- Scrub potatoes with a brush; pat dry.
- Prick potatoes in 2 or 3 places with a fork. (If desired, for softer skins, rub potatoes with shortening or wrap each in foil.)
- Place potatoes in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake potatoes, uncovered, in a 425ºF oven for 40 to 50 minutes for small potatoes/60 to 70 minutes for large potatoes, or until tender.
- Bake in a 350ºF oven for 60 to 70 minutes for small potatoes/80 to 90 minutes for large potatoes, or until tender.
- Remove from oven; cool slightly for easier handling.
- For small potatoes, cut a thin crosswise slice off both ends of each baked potato.
- (For large potatoes, cut potatoes in half crosswise. Cut a thin crosswise slice from the round ends of the potatoes.)
- Scoop pulp from the removed slices; discard skin. Place pulp in a bowl.
- Carefully scoop pulp from each potato, leaving a 1/4-inch shell. I use a small grapefruit spoon for this or a baby spoon if using small potatoes.
- Add pulp to bowl; set shells aside.
- Mash the potato pulp.
- Stir in sour cream or yogurt, cheese, chives, mustard, salt, and pepper. (If necessary, add 1 to 2 tablespoons milk to make of desired consistency.)
- Stir in chopped hard-cooked eggs.
- Carefully spoon potato mixture into shells. (or use pastry bag and pipe potatoes mix into shells).
- Stand the potato "eggs" upright in a 2-quart rectangular or square baking dish.
- Bake large or small potatoes, uncovered, in a 425ºF oven about 20 minutes (or in a 325 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes) or until heated through and tops are lightly browned.
- Top with additional whole fresh chives, if desired.
- MAKE AHEAD TIP:.
- Prepare potatoes through step 4 and chill. Reheat with ham at 325ºF for 45 to 50 minutes.
- SOMETHING EXTRA(strictly optional):.
- Before putting filled potatoes back to bake, I make a small indentation in top of potato. Then about 5-10 minutes before done I some finely shredded dark yellow cheese in the indentation and finish baking. The melted cheese at the top makes it look like egg yolk!