Prep 20 hrs
Cook 50 mins
Easter in Italy will not be without the lovely yummi cake in form of a dove, a Easter dove sign of peace
- 25 g fresh yeast
- 200 g baking flour
- 100 ml milk, lukewarm
- 300 g manitoba flour (wheat flour rich of gluten, alternative 300 g baking flour)
- 120 g sugar
- 250 g butter, soft, at room temperature (or good quality margarine, I used margarine)
- 0.25 ml salt
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 orange, zest of
- 14.79 ml honey
- 3 egg yolks
- 100 g lemon zest, candied
- 100 g orange zest, candied
- 100 g marzipan, grated
- 100 g ground almonds
- 100 g powdered sugar
- 0.25 ml vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, white
- 50 g almonds, whole with skin
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 29.58 ml powdered sugar, for topping
- With a food processor mix 100 g flour, milk and yeast. Let rise 30 minutes (covered and in warm place).
- Add other 100 g flour, if necessary add 1 or 2 tablespoon water. Work until smooth.
- Let rise 30 minutes (covered and in warm place).
- Add 150 g Manitoba flour, 60 g sugar and 80 g butter and work well to soft dough.
- Let rise (covered and in warm place) about 2 hours.
- Add 150 g Manitoba flour, 170 g butter. Work until butter is adsorbed.
- Work with the food processor at slow speed for 30 minutes.
- Add salt, 60 sugar, vanilla, zest (both kind), honey and one by one the egg yolks.
- Work well and add some flour if it is too sticky (I added 2 tablespoons).
- Now add candied fruits and marzipan. Work well until incorporated.
- Let rise (covered and in warm place) about 8 hours or better overnight.
- Work the dough well.
- Now shape the dove forming one long piece in the middle and two pieces on the sides (see photo added). Place in your mold. I don’t have a dove shaped mold, so I created one myself.
- Let rise (in warm place) about 6 hours.
- Preheat the oven at 200°C.
- For the glaze mix together almond ground, powdered sugar and vanilla. Add the egg white one by one, but stop before it gets to liquid.
- Glaze gently the dove with this thick mix using a spatula (don’t “hurt” the dough) and spread on the whole almonds and the granulated sugar. Before baking top with powdered sugar.
- Bake 10 minutes at 200°C, reduce the heat at 175°C, protect the glaze with some baking paper and bake for 40 more minutes.
- Note: beginning on Saturday afternoon step 11 will be overnight! Sunday evening you will enjoy your fresh Easter dove.