Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Fruity spicy little cookies - great for easter ot anytime!
- 4 ounces superfine sugar
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 egg, separated
- 8 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 ounces currants
- 1 ounce candied peel
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 ounce superfine sugar, to finish
- Preheat the oven 325F and grease a baking sheet.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and beat in the egg yolk.
- Sieve the flour and fold into the mixture together with the mixed spice, currants and candied peel.
- Add just enough milk to make a stiff dough.
- Roll out the dough and cut out the cookies with a fluted cutter. Place them on the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Remove, brush with the egg white, sprinkle with sugar and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes until they are a pale golden brown.
- Remove from the tray and cool on a wire rack.