Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
Get a jump on Easter preparations by baking these carrot cupcakes with lemon buttercream frosting. Unfrosted, these moist cupcakes are perfect for breakfast on the run or as a lunch box treat. I found this recipe in our local newspaper -
- 2 1⁄2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnut pieces
- 1 cup pineapple, diced (fresh or canned, juice drained)
- 2 cups flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
INGREDIENTS FOR LEMON FROSTING
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 cups icing sugar
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
INGREDIENTS FOR OPTIONAL GARNISH
- 2 large piece of shredded wheat
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces marzipan or 4 ounces almond paste
- 3 tablespoons ground walnuts
- food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine carrots, walnuts, pineapple, and 1/2 cup of the flour. Mix and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift remaining flour and combine with cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and sugar and whip with a hand mixer until just comined, then slowly add vegetable oil until emulsified.
- Fold flour mixture into egg batter until well combined, then stir in carrot mixture. Line cupcake tins with liners and spoon in batter, filling about three-quarters full. Bake for 20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- transfer to a rack; let cool.
- FROSTING: In a stand mixer, combine butter, sugar, lemon juice and zest and vanillla and whip until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Makes 24 cups.
- TIP: This recipe works well as a cake,. Pour batter into a round (10-inch) cake and place in a 350F oven for 1 hour or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to rack; let cool and cover with frosting (same amount as used for cupcakes).
- OPTIONAL GARNISH: Into a bowl, break shredded wheat into small pieces and set aside.
- In a small pan over low heat add syrup and butter, Cook until butter is melted. Pour in shredded wheat and mix to coat. Let cool until warm enough to form into 1-inch nest.
- Knead marzipan with ground walnuts until well mixed. Divide marzipan into three parts and add desired food coloring. Form into small eggs in nest and place genetly atop cupcakes.