Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
These little bunnies are sure to make kids smile! Easter is coming up and these would make an excellent addition to any buffet. Use any kind of small candy for decorating (jelly beans, mini M&Ms, sweet tarts, tropical skittles.. They might be slightly tedious but your effort will pay off! The original recipe says to add more milk if the batter looks dry- use your best judgment.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix, (as well as the other ingredients listed on the cake box to prepare the cake)
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups Betty Crocker fluffy white frosting mix
- any desired food coloring
- 6 marshmallows
- pink sugar
- miniature M&M baking bits, " (see description. Any small candy will do- but you need BLUE and PINK pieces)
- chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners. Prepare cake mix as directed for 24 cupcakes, substituting milk for water and adding vanilla extract to batter. Bake and cool completely as directed.
- Spoon 2 cups frosting into a bowl and tint yellow, light blue, pale green or pink with food coloring (or make different colors in separate bowls). Frost Spoon a dollop of remaining white frosting onto center of each cupcake for bunny faces. (I pipe with a pastry bag or Ziploc bag with the corner cut off) To make ears: Cut each marshmallow in half crosswise with kitchen shears, then cut each piece in half diagonally to form 2 ears, flattening slightly with your fingers. Press in pink decorating sugar. (I have also used pink icing.) Stick 2 ears into each of white frosting mounds.(Stick them into the icing well so they don't fall off!).
- Use pink candies to make noses, blue candies for eyes and chocolate sprinkles for whiskers.
We made our bunnies and some lambs a little different, following this recipe...turned out cute!