1/12 Photos of Easter Bunny Cake
This was a favorite of mine when I was a kid but the instructions have long since been lost. I saw all kinds of "Bunny" cakes, but nothing even came close to this one... although I did manage to find a photo of it online. (It's hard to tell from the photo, but the feet are 2 layers high and the rest of the cake just one) So please excuse my crude drawings and directions, but you will have fun making it!! Great project to make with the kids, too, since you can get really creative with the decorations (other than just the ribbon bow) and can really dress it up. P.S. No law says it has to be a WHITE bunny, either... ;) ;)
My Private Note
Bunny C ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix (white or yellow are best, or use your own imagination...)
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1/3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1/3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 (16 ounce) can white frosting (or use your favorite recipe, "ready to spread" will do but I'm not sure how much it will take)
- 1 (14 ounce) package coconut (either flaked or shredded will work)
- 1/2 yard ribbon (approx., for bow)
- food coloring
- jelly beans (for decorations, eyes, nose, etc.) or gumdrop (for decorations, eyes, nose, etc.)
- 1Prepare cake mix according to directions on box for 2 round 9" layers.
- 2Tint 1/4 cup of the coconut pink (I'm guessing at the amount) for the center of ears and feet.
- 3Tint 2 tablespoons of the frosting brown for decorating face and feet ( or you can buy one of those prepared decorating icing tubes).
- 4When cake is cool, cut layers as shown in diagram (see other photo).
- 5Take 4 of the 8 outer ring pieces and frost the tops. Place 1 of the remaining 4 on top of each and frost top and sides. These will make the feet of the bunny.
- 6Place round-cut center piece next to the top edge of the square, keeping them both flat, to form body and head.
- 7Assemble the 4 side pieces in twos, flat sides together (you can use a little frosting to hold them together) to form the ears and arrange at the top of the head.
- 8Frost entire cake and attach the completed feet, 2 on each side of the body.
- 9Sprinkle coconut over entire cake and decorate with jelly beans/gumdrops for eyes, nose, etc. as desired, using pink-tinted coconut for center of ears and feet.
- 10Here's where you can really have fun and get creative! You can tie the ribbon in a bow and place on the cake as a bowtie, make buttons out of the candy, add a hat, etc.
- 11** Tip for using frosting to decorate without a pastry bag: Spoon the frosting into one corner of a small plastic sandwich baggie, twist tightly and snip off the tip of the corner. Voila!
- 12Note: The finished cake is almost 2 feet long so be sure to have it on a large enough cookie sheet or platter!
- 13Servings vary on how you decide to divide up the body (er, bunny) parts -- .
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easter Bunny Cake
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 945.9
- Calories from Fat 532
- Total Fat 59.1 g
- Saturated Fat 32.9 g
- Cholesterol 69.7 mg
- Sodium 577.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 74.5 g
- Protein 8.6 g