Recipe by ellie_
We enjoy this very rich bread for Easter breakfast which I make in 1-pound coffee cans, but it can also be made in loaf pans. Prep time includes 3 rises. Recipe adapted from The Finnish Cookbook
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Outstanding! I made the whole batch & gifted one to a close friend of ours, devoured the 2nd loaf & now we're slowly working our way through the 3rd one! We thoroughly enjoyed the citrus flavor here & will be making these again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast (or two envelopes)
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 3 cups milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
- 7 -8 cups flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 cardamom pods, crushed (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 orange, rind of, grated
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- 1 cup butter, melted
For optional icing
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 -3 drops almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Disolve yeast in warm water.
- Add 2 cups of the milk to the yeast/water.
- Sift in 2 cups of the flour.
- Beat until smooth and elastic with a wooden spoon or beaters.
- Cover and let rise for one hour.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar together until light.
- Add egg/sugar to dough, stirring well with wooden spoon.
- Add the salt, cardamom, orange and lemon peel, raisins and almonds (if using), stir well.
- Add the remaining milk (1 cup) and butter.
- Stir in the remaining flour until a stiff dough forms.
- Turn onto a floured bread board and knead until smooth and elastic (8-10 minutes).
- Place dough in greased bowl (I use a dutch oven), turn and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Grease 3 (1 pound) coffee cans and dust with sugar.
- Fill cans half full and let rise until dough is even with top of can (30 minutes).
- Bake in a preheated 350°Foven for 1 hour or until bread is golden and tests done.
- If desired, loaves can be iced with optional frosting.
- To make optional frosting, combine frosting ingredients (confectioners' sugar, water and almond extract).
- Drizzle over cooled loaves.