Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
I don't know if this has another name, but I couldn't find the recipe anywhere. Living in the South I miss this bread!
- 10 lbs flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 12 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 1⁄3 cups margarine
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dry yeast
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Put flour into a large tub or pan and make a hole in the middle of the flour.
- Heat the milk and margarine on the stove but do not let it boil.
- Remove from the stove and add sugar and salt.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add vanilla to the eggs.
- Dissolve the yeast in 5 cups of warm water.
- Pour yeast into flour.
- Add egg mixture to flour.
- Add in milk mixture slowly.
- Knead flour mixture until it blisters and is smooth.
- (use oil on your hands if the dough is sticky).
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and then cover it with a blaket or dish towels.
- Let the dough raise in a warm place for about an hour (should double in size).
- Pan the dough into braided loaves.
- Cover the loaves and let them raise another hour.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Bake for about 20 minutes (may want to turn the pan after 10 minutes).
- After the bread is golden brown beat one egg with a few tablespoons of water and brush the egg wash on the top of the loaves.
- Put loaves back in the oven for 2 minutes.