4 hrs 50 mins
A cake-like fruit and nut bread that is a tradition of a Polish Easter. The rest of the year, my grandmother would make a similar bread with just raisins and no frosting. Note the the prep time includes rising times. Recipe by request
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup lukewarm milk
- 2 compressed yeast cakes (or 2 pkgs. dried)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 15 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup chopped citron
- 1/3 cup chopped orange rind
- 1/3 cup chopped lemon rind
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1Scald 1 cup milk and slowly add 3/4 cup flour and beat thoroughly.
- 3Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm milk, mix in 1 tbsp sugar.
- 4Add to the cooled flour mixture and beat well.
- 5Let rise until double in bulk (30 minutes).
- 6Add salt to eggs yolks and beat until thick and lemon colored.
- 7Add sugar, vanilla and almond extract and continue to beat.
- 8Add to sponge (flour-yeast mixture), add remaining flower.
- 9Knead for ten minutes.
- 10Add butter and knead 10 minutes or until dough no longer sticks to your fingers.
- 11Add fruit and nuts mix into dough, cover and let rise until double in bulk (60 minutes).
- 12Punch down and let rise again (60 minutes).
- 13Punch down.
- 14Butter a fluted tube pan and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- 15Fill with dough to cover 1/3 of the pan.
- 16Let rise 1 hour* and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
- 17Cool and decorate with lucre.
- 18Lucre: Mix ingredients and spread over top of cake, letting it drip down the sides.
- 19Note- rising times are approximate.
- 20Keep dough covered in a warm place free from drafts.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easter Babka
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 414.0
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 259.9 mg
- Sodium 504.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 20.0 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: